.

.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Martha's Basic Pancakes


Ok I know that the name of these Pancakes is so blah but these pancakes are quite the opposite in taste. Pancakes are an American favorite for breakfast with melted butter, warm maple syrup and maybe a few slices of bacon on the side. I mean we have dedicated whole restaurants to them like IHop, Denny's and International House of Pancakes. I have been on the search for a great pancake recipe forever. In the past I usually used a Bisquick mix and they always turn out too thick and too dry. After making these pancakes Thad confessed to me that my previous pancakes were not so good (which I already knew, hence my pancake recipe search). So I was browsing my food blogs and websites, as usual, and happen to stumble upon this recipe. I printed it off over three months ago and it sat in my ever growing stack of recipes I wanted to try.

Finally this past Saturday I made them for breakfast. I was surprised by how quick and easy they were to make and wondered why I had ever used or even bought pancake mix in the past, I am now converted and will never do so again. And not only were the pancakes easy to make they were also yummy. The texture of the pancakes were soft and moist and they even kept for Thad to have for breakfast the next morning. And most importantly, Thad loved them.


Martha's Basic Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
*Note: This recipe only makes about 10-12 pancakes, so if making them for a large party I would double or triple the recipe.

For starters turn the oven to 200 degrees. Then place a cookie sheet on the middle rack. This will be where you can keep your pancakes warm until they are served up.

Next get out a medium or large skillet or fry pan. Turn the stove to low. Place a nickel size drop of vegetable oil in the middle of the pan and smear with paper towel, letting the pan heat up (don't use butter because butter has a tendency to burn).

Next in a medium bowl combine the milk, butter, egg and vegetable oil; set aside. Then in a small bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just moistened but be careful to not over mix, having a few lumps is ok in your batter (for mixing I just use a whisk).

Drop 2-3 tablespoons of batter into the middle of the pan, the batter is thin so it will naturally spread out in the pan. On low, cook for 30 seconds to one minute then using a thin spatula flip the pancake to the other side and do the same. A good indicator of readiness is when bubbles form in the batter and begin to pop. I like mine on the lighter side, so I only cooked my pancakes for about 30 seconds per side. Repeat the same process, spreading a little oil onto the pan surface, then pouring 2-3 tablespoons of batter onto the center of pan.

Once done cooking, place ready pancakes in the oven, on the cookie sheet and place aluminum foil over the top to prevent further cooking.

Next stack 3-4 pancakes on top of each other and smear with lots of butter and syrup and throw in a glass of milk and you're set for a delicious homemade breakfast. So give them a try!

Bon Appetit!

Adapted from Martha Stewart On-line

2 comments:

  1. yum-yum gimme some.... those look so good. Madeline will only eat pancakes and mac&cheese (ad she's a string bean) so she would be in heaven here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I am inspired by the pancake house in sugarhouse, I want to mix in peices of bacon into the batter. What do you think? Yum or yuck?

    ReplyDelete