.

.

Friday, December 31, 2010

A Fat Witch Brownie.......


Picture by Bake or Break

When I lived in DC, every so often my friends and I would venture to Georgetown and take in the sights. There were always great places to eat in Georgetown and fabulous stores to visit. I remember the first time I went to Dean & Deluca, I was mesmerized by it. It is a gourmet foods store fool of the finest of all foods and treats. They had cheeses of every kind and living in France I love my cheeses. They had fine meats, candy, all sorts of oils and vinegars and most importantly a Bakery. They had the most finest of bake goods that not only look perfect but their taste rivals their appearance. So when I was there I bought a brownie that was divine. It could stand alone without any frosting and melted in my mouth.

So when I came across a recipe posting on the cooking blog Bake or Break for some specialty brownies that are sold at a New York bakery called Fat Witch Bakery, I had to try it because first of all it reminded me of Dean & Deluca and secondly, getting the recipe for a famous brownie made me feel like somehow I was getting away with something or was just lucky to have it.

When I tried this recipe I loved it and what I loved about it was the delicate yet rich taste. And I also loved that surprisingly this brownie was not dense but light in its consistency. This definitely is the sort of brownie that would go into my "must make again" recipes collection.


Fat Witch Brownie
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate chips
1 & 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
pinch of salt

Start of being preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Next grease a 9″x 9″ baking pan with butter, dusting it with flour, a getting rid of the excess flour by hitting the sides and bottom of pan. Set aside and let cool.

Using a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, making sure to stir constantly. Once done, Set aside. In another bowl (I use my kitchen aid) beat the sugar, eggs, and vanilla on medium speed. Once mixed well, add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.

In another small bowl sift together the flour and salt, mix together. Then add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, mixing gently until well combined.

Lastly, spread the chocolate batter evenly in prepared pan. Place in oven and bake 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only dry crumbs. Once done remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 1 hour before cutting into bars. Makes 12-16 brownies.

So if you are a brownie lover like myself and love a rich but light brownie, then this recipe is for you. So enjoy and eat up!

Happy New Years Eve!

3 comments:

  1. Roz, I love everything you post. To bad I've sworn off sweets.. except for sunday. I'm going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q wants to go to DC sometime this summer. If we do I'll try to remember to hit up Dean & Deluca. Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! Oh, I look back on our time in DC and Paris as our "classy" days. ;) But at least we actually had the opportunity right? Not everyone gets that chance.

    ReplyDelete