.

.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mini Pecan Tarts


Since I have lived in the south I have noticed that pecan pies are a beloved dessert that usually make a showing at many family gatherings and any event. You can almost always find it on the dessert menu at a restaurant and I have never made a pecan pie ever, and got my chance recently.

Thad loves to repay or thank people by offering up my baking. A friend recently had done something really generous for us and Thad asked him if there was anything he would like me to bake as payment, since he was refusing payment for his kind deed. This friend told Thad that he loved pecan pies. I was instantly intimidated because pecan pies, although made all over the world are definitely a southern specialty and southerners know their pecan pies.

So the search was on for a good pecan pie recipe but not just any good recipe but a great recipe. I tried a recipe from one of my cookbooks and it didn't work and so I remembered that my mother-in-law makes great pecan pies and so I went and got out her cookbook that she had made years ago for her children. I also thought that I wanted to do something different. I remembered I had some cute little tart pans and had never used them so I decided to make our friend, little cute pecan tarts.

I used my mom's secret pie recipe for the crust and then for the pecan filling I used Pat's recipe (my mother-in-law) and made them 5 cute tarts. The pecan tarts turned out rich and soft and were absolutely yummy. They were a hit with our friend and his wife told me he ate all five tarts except she got half of one.

Pecan Pie Filling
1 cup sugar
2 cups white Karo syrup
6 eggs (sligthly beaten)
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
2 cups pecan halves

Start off by setting the oven to 350 degrees. My oven tends to cook get a little hotter so I usually set it 10 degrees lower than the recipe calls. For this recipe I would set my oven to 240 degrees.

Then using your favorite pie crust recipe, roll out the dough until it is thin but not so thin that you can't work with it. Then depending on what size tart pan you use, use the tart pan as a gage making sure there is an inch extra along the edges. Then press the dough into the tart pan. Once that is completed, using a fork, poke holes all over the pie to let it breath. Set the unbaked tart pans to the side.

For Pat's pecan pie filling, using a stand mixer combine the sugar, karo syrup, eggs, salt and vanilla. Mix well on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Then with a wooden spoon stir in the pecans until they are incorporated fully into the mixture. Then pour the pecan pie filling into each tart pan, pouring batter almost to the top of the tart, so that you can still barely see some crust. This recipe will make about 10 4-5 inch mini tarts or what I did is I did one pie and about 6, 4-inch pecan tarts. Then place the cut cubes of butter onto each tart.

Next, place the tarts on a cookie sheet to prevent any dripping or overflowing. For the baking time I would watch them closely. For an average pecan pie you would have it in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. For these I started checking on them 10-12minutes in. My pies were done within 20 minutes and the way I could tell was by inserting a small butter knife into the center, and when it comes out clean it is done.

Once the pecan tarts are done, place on a cooling rack and let cool. Once cooled completely, serve with a dollop of whip cream. If you love pecans, you will love these little tarts. They are easy to make and a southern favorite!

Enjoy Y'all!

2 comments:

  1. wow sister, these look absolutely divine. I'll come over tomorrow and we can share a tart and a dc...in a perfect world.

    ReplyDelete