.

.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Happy 30th Birthday Mark!


Today is my brother-in-law's Mark's 30th birthday and although he is not here, we still are able to celebrate him and the man that he was and is. We have our happy birthday sign hanging on the mantle and cupcakes ready to eat.

Yesterday, Thad and many of Mark's family, friends and comrades walked 30 miles in honor of his birthday. It was so neat to see these men walking together, the whole way taking each step in honor of Mark. There were 5 rest stops and one of the stops was at the Forester residence. In honor of Mark's birthday I was in charge of making cupcakes for the walkers to eat. What a sight to see, all of the 35 walkers holding cupcakes and singing happy birthday to Mark.

I wanted to make the best cupcakes I could for Mark and I have found that the best yellow cake cupcake I can find is a dressed up yellow cake mix. Now I am not one for cake mixes and was raised to believe that in some way I was committing a sin using a boxed anything but in this case I feel that it is okay to do so. What dresses up this cake mix you ask? Yogurt/sour cream and pudding mix. Take my word on this one, I have looked long and hard for the most moist and light yellow cupcake recipe and this one is it. So give these a try and take my word for it.

Dressed Up Yellow Cake Cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix (I use Betty Crocker)
1 package (3.4 oz) Jell-O Instant Vanilla Pudding
4 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (I used yogurt)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon rum extract

Begin by setting the oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9" cake rounds and set aside. Combine the cake mix, jello, eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil, water and rum extract. For mixing instructions follow the back of the cake box. Once completely mixed, I like to use an ice cream scooper to dish my batter into the cupcake pan to make a uniform cupcakes. I Fill the cupcakes about three-fourths full. Place cupcakes in the oven, letting them bake for about 13-20 minutes. Mine are usually perfect at 15 minutes.

Once done baking, take out of oven, remove from cupcake pan and cool completely. While cupcakes are cooling, start making this delicious buttermilk frosting....

Peggle's Buttermilk Frosting
1/3 cup butter (I usually overshoot on this measurement, more butter never hurts)
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
*I add 1-2 tablespoons more of milk to give it a creamier consistency.

This frosting is the best. So easy. Just mix all ingredients together until smooth and fluffy.

Once frosting is made and cupcakes are cooled, frost cupcakes with Peggle's Buttermilk frosting and then voila, you have the most moist and delicate cupcake in town.

Mark today we are missing you more than ever but we also know that you are not far from us. Love you Markie Mark and happy 30th birthday.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Oh. my. yum. Those sound delicious!

    The weekend was so awesome! I hope Meemer enjoyed the cards from the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roz- I'm so excited to see that you have a blog!!! We haven't touched base for a while- looks like we are both pretty busy... you seem to be quite the baker :) I still remember the cake you made for me on the mission when I turned 22, can you believe that was 10 years ago already?

    ReplyDelete