.

.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Mississippi Mud Brownies


The other day I was sitting in a mechanic shop waiting for Thad''s truck to get serviced. I knew that I had about an hour to wait and wondered how I would spend that hour. I looked over and on a magazine rack were Better Homes and Gardens, Southern Living and Peoples magazine. Once I saw the magazines, I knew there was going to be plenty to keep me entertained. I started off with the Peoples magazine because, who can resist some salacious gossip? Next I moved on to Better Homes and Gardens and drooled over the gorgeous homes and great recipes. I am sure the receptionist could hear me taring out pages as I found some must try recipes. I then moved onto Southern Living and found some more great recipes. I tore out a page that read "Best-Ever Bar Cookies" and listed on the back side of the page I ripped out, were Mississippi Mud Brownies.

Now I know that it is Spring/Summer and that maybe I should have gone with a fruity treat but these looked too scrumptious to pass up. And after making the beauties I was not disappointed at all. They were amazing. There is something about a dense brownie, topped with marshmallows, toasted pecans and ooey gooey frosting that is hard to resist.

Mississippi Mud Brownies
1 (4 oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking bar
3/4 cup butter
2
cups sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 cups mini-marshmallows

Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 in pan, set aside.

Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, set aside.

Using a microwave-safe bowl microwave chocolate and butter at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Once melted, whisk in sugar and eggs until well blended (I used a large spoon). Lastly stir in flour until completed mixed. Spread batter into greased 13 x 9-inch pan and place in oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake the brownies until a wooden pick or butter knife inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs

When there is about 5-10 minutes left in the baking of the brownies, start on the frosting.....

Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16 oz.) package sifted powdered sugar

Once done baking, remove the brownies from oven and place on a cooling rack. Immediately pour the marshmallows onto the warm brownies. Next place the toasted pecans on the brownies. Once pecans and marshmallows are added, pour the frosting onto the warm brownies, spreading frosting to the edges. Let brownies cool for 1 or more hours on wire rack. I find that if they sit overnight they set better and once cut come out prettier.

Brownies lovers, this recipe is for you, a chocolaty brownie with marshmallows, pecans and chocolate frosting, you can't go wrong, so give these try, you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! You've done it again sister. These look d-e-v-i-n-e!

    ReplyDelete