.

.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bb is for Banana Bread



Banana bread recipes are like chocolate chip recipes, everyone has one and everyone thinks theirs is the best. Banana bread is also a feel good food, to be made on a rainy or cold night, when you want something cozy and homemade to nibble on. Since I have been a little girl I have used the same recipe for Banana bread. My recipe comes from a little kids ABC Cookbook called "Alpha-Bakery" published by Gold Medal Flour. The copyright is 1987 so it 20 years old. We inherited the cookbook from friends who were moving when we lived in Paris, France. It is a simple but very tasty recipe and therefore I want to share my favorite banana bread recipe, which I think is the best with ya'll.

















ABC Banana Bread

3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3 large)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk (my addition to give the bread more moisture)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans or walnuts)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon (my addition, I love cinnamon)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 325 and grease a loaf pan with shortening, set aside. Mix sugar, bananas, oil, milk and eggs in a large bowl or I use my kitchen aid and put it on the medium setting. Mix well, scraping down the sides occasionally. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Once well blended pour into the already greased loaf pan. Place the loaf pan in the center of the oven and let cook for 60-70 minutes. I start checking the bread around 55 minutes and I usually use a butter knife and if it comes out clean then I know it is ready. You can also use a toothpick for this purpose.

Once out of the oven, I take a butter knife and sweep all the sides of the loaf pan to loosen the sides and make for a clean and easy release. I then turn over the loaf pan, emptying the bread onto a cooling wrack, then letting it cool right side up. Once out of the oven you can let it cool completely and then serve or Thad likes his fresh out of the oven, with some butter smeared on top and a small glass of milk. Just a suggestion. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I too have used this cookbook since I was young, but I left the cookbook behind during my last move. Now I can bake my favorite banana bread again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this... i'm a busy mom of 2 and have been freezing bananas to make bread, because i lost my Alpha-bakery book. this is the only recipe i used from it and i was so upset to loose it. it is the BEST banana bread ever... it has flavor... like no others ive had. i also add cinnamon and i sub melted butter for the oil. and buttermilk for the milk you added. Thanx again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is MY FAMILY'S favorite banana bread recipe. Thank you so much for posting it. I have not found my book after I moved in December.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So my granny got me this cookbook the year it came out. I was two years old then and still have it 32 years later. This is my favorite banana bread recipe. The cookbook is still packed away from my recent move so this copy made my day. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you. My daughter is 25 now and she asked about the banana bread she always made when she was little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe. I have the book, but can't locate it at the moment: I have over 300 cook books....
    This is my favorite recipe for banana bread. The only one I use. Thanks for making available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my go to recipe...but I bake it into muffins rather than the bread. It is just easier to grab and go!

    ReplyDelete