.

.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Bradford Sugar Cookies














When we think of Valentines Day we think of a romantic dinner with that special someone but growing up it was a special day for us as kids too. My mom would make the day be special treat for us. She would make a special meal and set the table with her nicest dishes and present us each with a little gift. I feel like because she made it such a special day for us as kids I have always loved the holiday. Another thing I think of when I think of Valentines Day is sugar cookies, pink heart shaped sugar cookies to be exact. So this year I decided that was exactly what I was going to make to get into the lovey dovey mood.

This recipe is a Nelson family favorite. My mom got this recipe from one of her good friends in college, Colleen Bradford (it was Colleen's mom's recipe). My mom has used this recipe since I can remember. This cookie is soft, light and rich. And for the frosting I use my mom's signature frosting but instead of making it with milk I make it with buttermilk for a richer taste.

Bradford's Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

My mom usually doubles or triples this recipe so you can measure accordingly. I start off by mixing the sugar with the shortening. Add one egg at a time. Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Mix until completely blended. I like to put the dough in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes or more.

I clear some counter space and place flour on the counter. I then take a fourth of the dough and roll it out into a roundish square and make sure the dough is about a half inch thick. The thicker the cookies the better, so keep the dough thick. Once rolled out you can then use cookie cutters and make the cookies into any shape you desire. If you don't have cookie cutters, you can use the rim of a small glass and make sugar cookie rounds.

Once the shapes are cut out, place them on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes. The key to a perfect sugar cookie is its softness, so you need to watch the sugar cookies closely. I always rotate the sugar cookies half-way through their bake time to make sure the cookie evenly cooks. I cook my cookies for just under 8 minutes to make sure they are soft.

Let cookies cool on a cooling rack and then once cooled top them with yummy icing. The icing recipe I use is my mom's fabulous homemade icing recipe but she taught me a little trick, when you happened to have buttermilk in the refrigerator, instead of making the icing with milk, substitute the milk with buttermilk. It will make for a richer taste. Here is the icing recipe.

Peggles Vanilla Frosting

1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I add a tad more)

Whip together all the ingredients. If the frosting seems too thick or heavy add a couple tablespoons milk until it is nice and fluffy consistency.

So to get yourself into the Valentines Day spirit make some homemade sugar cookies with homemade frosting for your valentines. It will become a great V-Day tradition.

1 comment:

  1. Rozzie! I love it! You are so talented. Okay, now you have to do this regularly...okay? xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete