.

.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tortillas in no time....


Thad and I love Mexican and typically are almost always in the mood for it. When we give in to our mexican craving I almost always order cheese enchiladas with a side of flour tortiallas. I then proceed to place some of the enchilada in the flour tortilla and wrap it up and it eat it, Thad usually watches this process with a look of confusion and awe, like you are so odd. With my love of flour tortillas shared, I thought I would take on the task of making my own, not having any latin food credentials and being a gringa thought I would give making my own flour tortillas a go. I have mentioned in the past that I heart my subscriptions to my cooking magazines and always read them front to back. So in my June/July Taste of Home addition I found a recipe for homemade flour tortitllas. ......I was amazed and delighted by how easy and delicious these flour tortillas turned out to be. They have such a light and fresh taste and who does not like a fresh, warm flour tortilla?

Homemade Flour Tortillas
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil

To begin, clear a work surface where the dough will be worked, take about a 1/4 of a cup of flour and spread it onto the work surface. Using a large bowl combine the flour and salt. Stir together. Then add the water and oil. Stir the ingredients until they are just blended (be careful to not over stir). Turn dough out onto the already prepared work surface. Knead the dough about 5-6 times, the less it is handled the softer the tortillas will be, so be careful. Next divide the dough into 8 seperate balls (handling as little as possible).

With a rolling pin roll out each ball into 7 inch circles. I used a ruler to make sure each ball of dough was 7 inches, so that the tortillas have uniformed look.

Get out a small fry pan or skillet. Heat pan over medium heat for a few minutes befor using. Then spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Then place the 7 inch round into the pan over medium heat, cooking for a minute on each side, flipping with a flat spatula.

A little trick is to heat the oven to 200 degrees, placing a cookie sheet on the center rack. Place the cooked tortillas onto the cookie sheet, while cooking the rest of the dough. This recipe only makes 8, so if you are cooking for a larger party you can double or tripple this recipe.

So make these, you will be so impressed with yourself and feel so gourmet after making your own flour tortillas and honestly they are the highlight of any meal!

Adapted from Taste of Home

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! I am going to make these tonight so we can have fajitas. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my college friends, Laura, introduced me to the homeade flour tortilla. Who knew they could be so much better than the premade ones? Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made them when I was little, but I've always been hesitant to try them out because (A) they were made with liberal quantities of lard, and (B) they're completely irresistible. So happy to find a good recipe with olive oil!

    ReplyDelete