.

.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tassie Cups with Whipped Lemon Curd Filling


I recently made some lemon curd and have so much left over that I have been trying to use it up and make fun concotions with it. What I love about lemon curd is that it will keep for up to three weeks, so it can be used for various desserts and recipes. So I did not want to let my lemon curd go to waste and was on a hunt to find a creative way to use it.

I came across a recipe for tassie cups, which is a butter cream cheese dough that makes little pie like crust cups, except the difference is these are a little thicker and a little richer due to the cream cheese. I thought I would use my lemon curd and some heavy whipping cream to creat a lighter mousse like taste and texture, topped off with whipped cream and a sliced strawberry for color. Thad being my tough and honest taste tester loved them and gave them a 10, so these are a must try. Another delicate dessert that is bite size that will melt in your mouth.

Tassie Cups
3 ounces of cream cheese (a cube is 8 ounces, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using a food processor, combine the softened cream cheese, softened butter, flour and salt. Pulse and grind until the mixutre forms into a ball. Then get a strip of plastic wrap and place it on the counter. Place the dough onto the center of the plastic wrap and wrap tightly into a ball. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour.


Once chilled divide dough into 24 little round half dollar size balls. Using a mini-cupcake pan place each ball in a cup (slightly greased). Pressing from the center out, press dough up the sides of the cup until the dough is evenly pressed up the cup. Then place them into the oven for 10-15 minutes until they are barely brown on the edges (mine took about 10 minutes).

Let the tassie cups cool completely, then remove them carefully from the pan and place on a cooling rack.

For the whipped curd take a half pint of heavy whipping cream and using a stand mixer, mix until the whip cream is pretty thick. Take out about a 1 1/2 cup whipping cream and set aside. Then using already made and cooled lemon curd, click for recipe here, mix 2 cups whipping cream and 1 cup lemon curd. Be careful that as you combine the two that you fold the curd into the whipping cream and not mix it. You want to keep the air in the mixture and stirring it will do the opposite.

Next take the 1 1/2 cups whipping cream and add a little drop of vanilla and a about 2 tablespoons powdered sugar to the mixture and stir.


Once the tassie cups are completely cooled, spoon in about a little over a tablespoon of whipped lemon curd into the cups (or fill until they are leveled with the tops of the cups). Then place a dabble of whip cream on top and for garnish and color, add a slice of strawberry.

This are light and delicious, a perfect summer treat!

6 comments:

  1. Roz, they look yummy. Next splurge day I'm going to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...wow...those really do look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy yum! I'm helping with a bridal shower next week. I think these will make the menu. I love lemon food during the summer. Winner! And wherever did you get your cake stand? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, these are fantastic. I find they taste best when you eat them in two bites; even though one bite is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these. Super cute dessert for the 4th! I hope all is well. I love your food blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am planning to start a coffee franchise with me and my business partners in the LA area;; Nang delivery sydney

    ReplyDelete