.

.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Roz's Birthday Fruit Tart


I celebrated another birthday this past Wednesday. I was grateful for another year and was talking to one of my best friends and she has a birthday the day after mine. You know the saying, "another year older and another year wiser"? Well I asked her what she woke up knowing on her borthday and she said less than she knew before and that is exactly how I feel. So with that said, I did have a great birthday.

Growing up my mom always made sure that on our birthdays we were treated like kings and queens. It was always a very special day. So one thing I always had on my birthday was a Fruit Tart which my mom has listed in her coobook as "Roz's Birthday Fruit Tart". It is always a treat to have it made for me each year. Since I now live in Alabama and my mom lives in Utah, my mother-in-law made it for me this year which was such a sweet gesture and it just meant the world to me (Thanks Pat). So I thought I would share my most favorite fruit tart ever with you all......

Roz's Birthday Fruit Tart

Sugar Cookie Crust
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Fresh fruit of choice

Start off by preheating the oven to 325 degrees.

Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Then add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Mix until all is combined. Set aside. In a separate medium size bowl combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tarter. Once blended well, slowly add the dry mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until blended but do not over mix.

Next divide the dough into to equal halves. To prevent the dough from sticking to your hands place some flour on them and pat the dough into the 11" tart pans (you can also a 8", 9.5" or 1 pizza round pan). When patting the dough into the tart pans, make sure to press the dough a little up the sides for a nice crust.

Place on the middle and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on your oven or until it is a light brown color. Take out of oven and let cool completely.

Tart Filling
16 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

To prepare the filling cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until mixed well and is smooth. Then spread filling on cooled tart. Decorate with fruit of your choice....kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or whatever fruits you love. Once assembled the last step is the orange glaze.


(These pics are of the Fruit Tart Pat made for me...so pretty)

Orange Glaze1/2 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Combine the sugar, juices, orange peel, lemon peel and cornstarch in a small or medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the glaze is thick. Remove from heat and stir in zest. Let the glaze cool completely before using. Once cooled, pour orange glaze over the arranged fruit. Let set in the refrigerator for a few hours (because it is better when cold).

This recipe is one of my favorites of all time and I can and have eaten almost an entire fruit tart.....not ashamed. A perfect dessert for summer and so light and refreshing.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

  1. That is so nice of Pat! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soooo good, it looks straight out of Martha Stewart or Better Homes magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, but I would expect no less from Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated b-day:) love the tart!

    ReplyDelete