.

.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Southern Humingbird Cupcakes


My husband informed me yesterday that the boys at work were having a potluck which meant I needed to bake something for it. I was excited because there was a cupcake recipe that I had been wanting to try and had even already bought the ingredients for it. I came across the this particular recipe the other day when I was perusing my favorite baking blogs and seeing what new recipes were being featured. On one of my fav blogs called Bake or Break there was a cupcake recipe that caught my eye...a Hummingbird cake.

For those of you who may have not ever heard of a Hummingbird cake, it is a southern cake and one that is a staple here in the south. I did a little research on it and the first recipe "published" was in Southern Living in 1978 and was referenced as a traditional southern recipe.


So I decided that since I am now a resident of the South, married to a true Southerner and have a potluck to cook for some Southerners, I would try this recipe. It was easy to make and they were so good. I loved the interesting combo of the pineapple, bananas and cinnamon, plus the cream cheese frosting was literally icing on the cake. In the end the Hummingbird Cupcakes really lived up to their reputation.

Hummingbird Cupcake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas
chopped pecans or sanding sugar, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour regular cupcake pans. Set aside.

Start off by combining in a large bowl the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon (I used my stand mixer for this recipe). Next making sure the eggs have been beaten well, add the eggs, then the oil to the dry mixture. Turning my stand mixer on low, mix the batter slowly making sure you mix it until it is barely moistened. Lastly, stir in the vanilla, pineapples, pecans, and bananas until it is mixed well.

Pour the batter into prepared pans, filling them up a little over halfway. Bake for 15-25minutes (depending on your oven, mine cooked in about 16 minutes) until a toothpick or butter knife is inserted in the center comes out clean. Remember to watch them closely because nobody wants a dry cupcake.

Let the cupcakes cool in pan for a few minutes before removing and placing the cupcakes on a cooling rack. Let them cool completely.

While the cupcakes are cooling start on the easy cream cheese frosting......

Cream cheese frosting
12 ounces cream cheese, softened (about 1 1/2 cubes cream cheese)
1 cup butter, softened
1.5 pounds confectioners sugar, sifted
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer), make sure that both the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature, combining the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Then on high, beat the frosting for about 4-5 minutes. This makes the frosting smooth and fluffy. Then place the frosting in the refrigerator, so that it is easier to work with.


Once all cupcakes are cooked you can either use a butter knife and frost or I used a frosting bag and with a fancy tip and piped on the frosting. As garnish you can either use pecans as a garnish or leave them plane.

Makes about 36 regular-sized cupcakes.

This unique combo is a southern treat that you will want to make over and over again. So enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love having an excuse to bake:) The cupcakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, these look scrumptious!!! and perfect!!

    ReplyDelete