.

.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

An old school classic....Snickerdoodles


Last night I had the urge to bake something and since Thad got me the cookbook Martha Stewart's Cookies, I thought I would try another cookie recipe from the cookbook. I love Martha's recipes and have never been disappointed by any of her recipes, so as I was skimming through the cookbook I came across her recipe for Snickerdoodles and I am a lover of Snickerdoodles. As a little girl I loved to make cookies and one recipe I always made was Snickerdoodles. They are easy to make but are a classic staple in any recipe collection.

What caught my eye about this recipe was that there was no cream of tartar used and in contrast to the Snickdoodles recipe I use, there was no shortening used and instead of one stick of butter, you use two. This is a simple recipe but oh so good. I think for me it is the simple creamy light taste of the cookie wrapped in cinnamon and sugar, that pulls me in. I followed Martha's recipe to a "T" and even measured the exact size of each dough ball. These cookies are a little larger than your typical Snickerdoodle and make 20 cookies. And as usual, Thad was my official taste tester and he gave these a thumbs up. So if you love an old time favorite like Snickerdoodles, you will love Martha's recipe.

Snickerdoodles
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (a little extra cinnamon never hurt either)

Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Also line a larger cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Sift together the dry ingredients, combining the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar using the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Next add in each egg, one at a time until just combined, be careful to not over mix. Then turning your mixer to low, slowly adding in the dry mixture to the butter mixture, until completely combined.


I placed the dough in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes so that it was easier to work with. While the dough is chilling, I combined the cinnamon and the 2 remaining tablespoons of sugar on a wide plate. Then once the dough is chilled, I scoop out a good size chunk of dough, rolling it into a ball. You want to make sure the balls are 1 3/4-inch balls, so that they are nice and big. Then roll into the cinnamon sugar. Place them 3 inches apart on the lined cookie sheet.

Place in the oven for 11-13 minutes, making sure the edges are golden and rotating half-way through. Once done let them cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet and then move them to a cooling rack to cool. Just a side note....they are good when served just barely warm.

So there you have it, an oldie but a goodie that is quick and easy but a definite favorite.



Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies

4 comments:

  1. This is my go to recipe too! I like that it doesn't have cream of tartar. I add cinnamon chips sometimes. MMmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please bake for my husband when you are in town...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had a snickerdoodle until I went to college. True story. And will you please teach me how to photograph food? My pictures on my food blog are so..icky. Yours look so nice. :) What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look deelish! mmm...I am imagining what they would taste like....

    ReplyDelete