.

.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Classic Meatloaf


Meatloaf is one of those foods that is an american staple and also a dish that I never crave but when I have it, it is comforting and yummy. Growing up my mom would make it for us kids and her meat loaf was really good. Since being married and busy with life, I am always looking for recipes that I can throw into my crockpot or make ahead of time. I had tried several meatloaf recipes but was always left wanting more. They just did not do it for me. One day as I was Food Blog surfing, which is my favorite past time, I stumbled upon this recipe at www.marthastewart.com She has a section called "Comfort Foods" and there lied a meatloaf recipe.

Since Thad and I have to travel to Demopolis on Sundays, I wanted something that was easy to transport and heat up at the church since we are typically there all day. So I made this meatloaf recipe the night before, crossing my fingers that it was good. As it cooked, a smell filled the house and Thad commented that the house smelt like Sunday to him. There was a delicious smell coming out of that oven and I knew that if it tasted as good as it smelt then we had found a winner.

We had it the next day for Sunday lunch and my instincts were correct, this recipe so yum. It's moist and juicy and full of flavor.

3 slices white sandwich bread
1/3 cup whole milk
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 medium onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
1/2 cup ketchup
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside. Place bread in food processor pulse or chop until the bread is in fine crumbs. Transfer the bread to a small bowl; stir in milk. Set aside, about 10minutes, stirring occasionally. For me the bread absorbed the milk really quickly so there was not too much to stir, I just made sure the bread and milk were well blended.

Next in a large bowl, combine beef/pork (I used 2 lbs. of beef chuck and no pork because that was what I had on hand), onion, garlic, egg, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add bread-milk mixture, and mix very gently with a fork, be sure not to stir too much.

Place meat mixture on prepared baking sheet, and form into a loaf about 9 inches long and 4 to 5 inches wide.

Bake, brushing twice with remaining 1/4 cup ketchup during baking. The recipe said to cook 45 to 55 minutes but my oven took about ten minutes longer to cook but I have an ancient or "vintage" oven. So I would say to watch it closely towards the end of the cooking time to make sure there is not pick meat and that you do not over cook it.

Very quick and easy recipe and oh so yummy! Thanks Martha for a fab Meat Loaf recipe.

Serves 6-8

Adapted from Martha Stewart

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you sent me your blog address! I'm a huge food blog adict! Unfortunately, I don't post on mine as much as I would like to.

    Have I told you I'm moving to DC? Looks like I'm following in your footsteps! :)

    Kym Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your blog!! Looks delicious. I'll have to try some of your fun recipes. Hope ya'll are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you! I have been looking for a good meat loaf recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so good! I do something similar, although I use Stovetop stuffing mix (1/2 bag, and also put sauce on top (1/2 cup ketchup mixed with 1/2 cup of brown sugar). If you like it sweet, the topping is magnifico!

    ReplyDelete