.

.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Swedish Pancakes (Les Crepes)


On Sunday night Thad and I got home from being in Demopolis since Saturday. Our friend Gwen and her family were nice enough to feed us while we were there in town. It was yummy, thanks Gwen! But when we got home Thad asked me what we were going to do about supper. As usual, I go through the list of what I could possibly make according to what I have in the refrigerator/pantry. I offered up the idea of Swedish Pancakes or what others would call crepes (in the Nelson family we have always called them Swedish Pancakes). It is funny, I am like a diner, I give Thad menu options and he places an order off the menu. What did he order? Swedish pancake (crepes).

I love this recipe. It was always a treat growing up, when my mom would make these for us. They always made for a yummy breakfast. I remember when my mom would make them, she would usually have to stay at the stove the entire time because you have make one at a time and with four kids and a husband there were a lot of crepes to make and a lot of mouths to feed. So I did the same and made sure Thad and Mike had plenty to eat.


We loved crepes growing up in California and so when we moved to France where they had whole restaurnts dedicated to Crepes called Creperies and where they were the main course and you could almost get anything on them, we felt it was meant to be. My favorite was a ham and cheese crepe. Then for dessert you could get a chocolate crepe with cream on top. Yum.

The recipe is so simple.

Swedish Pancakes (Crepes)

2 cups milk
2 cups flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Start off by mixing all the ingredients together using a wisk, wisking all the ingredients together until the batter appears smooth (no bumps). Rub some butter into the bottom of a small non-stick fry pan (my mom takes a cube of butter and peels away some of the wrapping and rubs it on the pan really quick), pour 1/4 cup batter onto the fry pan, move the batter around the pan until the batter covers the bottom of the fry pan (making a circle). Cooking over medium heat let the bottom side cook until it is barely brown (simply lift up the edges and check after about a minute, just like pancakes). Once slightly browned, turn over. The key here is to not over cook them. If you cook them too long they will become stiff and too hard to roll up. Simply repeat this process, making sure to butter the pan after each crepe is made. This recipes make about 15 crepes.

For toppings, I always use butter and then my favorite is cinnamon and sugar. You can also do butter and jam or some fresh fruit with whipping cream on top and make it more of a dessert. Then roll them up and eat. Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

  1. I have been craving these for so long! They are so easy to make, yum....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roz, in your recipe you forgot to tell them to add butter to the pan before or every other crepe. I use a solid stick of butter peeling down one side, and quickly rubbing the butter in the pan. If heat is too high your butter will burn. keep the heat medium. Hooray for Madame Rozzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. My mom shared the best crepe filling with me for a recent baby shower. You mix whipped cream (or cool whip) and a package of vanilla pudding and cream cheese (make sure it is softened first or it will turn out lumpy!). It is so delicious. Nutella + vanilla pudding mixture + bananas = heaven.

    ReplyDelete