.

.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Best Banana Muffins Ever


Everytime I go to the store I buy bananas, I think it is a mental thing like bananas = healthy. But usually they sit there and just get browner and browner by the day. I had 4 old aging bananas sitting in my fruit bowl and with each passing day I knew I had to make something with them and thought I probably will just have to bake some banana bread. Then the next day I came across a banana muffin recipe and thought I would try something new with my poor brown bananas.

The Banana Muffin recipe was easy and straight forward and I literally whipped them up in 15 minutes and the finish product was oh so tasty. Thad is my taste testing victim and when they were finished, I cornered him with a warm muffin adorned with butter, I watched him as he bit into the soft muffin.......the verdict? He loved them. He said the muffins were moist and flavorful. I told him the secret ingredient was nutmeg and it did add a cool flavor to the banana muffins.

Banana Muffins

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
3 or 4 ripened bananas (about 1 cup mashed bananas)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons melted butter
(I also added about a half cup pecans)

Start off by turning the oven to 350 degrees. Then get out a 12 cup muffin pan and spray each muffin cup with a non-stick spray. Set aside and move on to the recipe. Getting all of this stuff out of the way makes the cooking process move alonger quicker.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In another mixing bowl, mash the bananas and add the sugars, egg and melted butter (and pecans if desired). Whisk together until smooth. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet. Mix until they are combined but be sure not to over mix.



Next pour the batter into 12 muffin cups, distributing the batter evenly. I found that by distributing the batter and using ALL of it, the muffin cups were too full and so the tops got too big while baking. So my advice would be to only fill them up 2/3rds of the way so they have more of a clean shape. Perhaps once the first batch is done you can make a couple more muffins with the remaining batter. Lastly Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Then bake for about 15-20 minutes (my muffins baked for exactly 15 minutes).

Then remove from the muffin pan and let cool on a cooling rack. I would recommend serving the banana muffins warm with some butter and a small glass of milk. Enjoy!

Adapted from Stephanie's Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. And enjoy you will. These things are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO....I have some old bananas that would work well for this...gosh, now that I have a real kitchen I hardly have time to do much else besides, change diapers, feed 3 little people, sweep, vacuum, errands etc... grass is always greener isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many points one muffin is ?

    ReplyDelete