.

.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Salad De Mason


It is spring and with spring comes gorgeous weather, freshly planted gardens and light fresh dishes. My mom is the queen of finding yummy salads and has many gourmet salads that she makes but my favorite of them all is her Salad de Mason. It is such a great side to a main dish, so easy to make and all homemade!

Salad de Mason

Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¾ cup vegetables
2 heads romaine
3 Cloves of garlic crushed
1 cup grated Swiss Cheese
1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup almonds toasted

This recipe is so easy and straight forward. Combine lemon juice (making sure all the seeds from the lemon are removed), garlic and salt and pepper. You can mix it with a fork, adding the vegetable oil last, mixing well or you can do the Peggy method which is combine all the igredients in a mason jar, place the lid on tightly and shake well. Let stand for 3 hours, knowing the longer the ingredients have to marinate and blend the better the dressing will be.

Once the romaine lettuce has been washed and dried and the salad dressing has had some time to marinate, combine lettuce, cheeses and then add salad dressing to taste. I typically do not use the entire amount and find that I can make a second round of salad with the dressing I have made. It also keeps for about 2 weeks, so you can whip it out and using as a dressong for any salad . Also I use this same dressing to make greek salads and just add the kalamata olives and feta cheese.

Your family and guests will love this salad and everytime I make this salad I am asked for the recipe, need I say more? So give it a try, it will be a hit!

Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

  1. This is the one of the best salads on the planet. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just made this last night as a part of Steve's b-day dinner. I call the easy-gourmet tasting salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Salad is a staple for any good meal. I use the same dressing to create a greek salad. Just add some kalamata olives, sweet red onions, cucumbers, and of course feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night when the missionaries came over..so yummy!

    ReplyDelete