.

.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake (with Lemon Curd)


Thad has a co-worker who is leaving his company to travel the world for a few months. I am impressed by Will (the world travelor) because of his courage to follow his dreams and I believe you are only young once and life is too short. So we decided that I was going to make him a farewell cake. I decided on my mom's Lemon Poppy Seed Cake (that she used when she made wedding cakes) and because I had made a big batch of lemon curd a few weeks prior and knew that a Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with buttermilk frosting and lemon curd filling would be light and tart, perfect for spring.

Please pardon how my cake looks, decorating cakes is something I have not done much of and am determined to make it a strength. The beauty of my cake does not reflect the amazing taste of the cake on the inside. And please note that I only put the best of the best recipes up here, recipes that I can stand behind!

Ok with that said, get ready to make a cake that is light, fresh, creamy and tart all at them same time. There are three steps to this cake. The first is the cake, the second is the lemon curd and the third is the buttermilk frosting.

Step 1:
Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake
1 box lemon cake mix (I use Betty Crocker)
1 package (3.4 oz) Jell-O Instant Lemon pudding
4 eggs
1 cup lemon yogurt or sour cream (I used yogurt)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2-4 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon rum extract

Begin by setting the oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9" cake rounds and set aside. Combine the cake mix, jello, eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil, poppy seeds, water and rum extract. For mixing instructions follow the back of the cake box. Once mixed, pour batter evenly into cake rounds place in oven and set time for 20-25 minutes. I start checking my cakes at 20 minutes sticking a butter knife in the center, once it comes out clean it is done. Make sure you do not over bake because this cake is best when moist. Placing parchment paper over a cooling rack, turn cakes out onto the rack and let cool completely.

Step 2:
Make your lemon curd. Click on Lemon Curd link for recipe.

Step 3:
Peggle's Buttermilk Frosting
1/3 cup butter (I usually overshoot on this measurement, more butter never hurts)
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
*I add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to give it a creamier consistancy.

Note: I had to triple this recipe for the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

This frosting is the best. So easy. Just mix all ingredients together until smooth and fluffy.

Once all three steps are completed (cake cooled, lemon curd made and frosting standing by)it is time to assemble this masterpeice of a cake. Slice each 9" round horizantally into even halves.


Place the first half on a platter of your choice. Then frost with frosting first and then spread with 3 tablespoons of lemon curd. Repeat this process 2 more times. For the exterior of the cake I frosted the entire thing and then spread the lemon curd on the top of the cake and then using a cake decorating bag, I made a frosting border. Once completely assembled place in the refigerator an hour or more to set. Then serve!

It was a hit at the farewell party for Will and is great for a garden party, wedding or shower. Once you make it, you will be hooked. Enjoy!

1 comment: